Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sugar and Cinnamon Spice

Last weekend while sitting at Cinnabon...I discovered that Mr. LMC really, really likes cinnamon rolls. I think I may have already knew this, but I definitely made a mental note to find an easy cinnamon roll recipe so I could make some homemade soon.

Soon came today!

This is actually my grandmother's recipe and while I thought it wasn't going to turn out, the final results were great! Plus, I now have proof that I can make something other than cake and cupcakes!! :)


Cinnamon Rolls



As always, we begin with our ingredients:


First, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.


Cut in the margarine (if you have a pastry cutter, all the better. I use two knives.)



Break an egg into a measuring cup, then add milk to bring the total contents up to 3/4 of a cup. (There is an egg in there, I promise!)


Add the milk and egg to the dry mixture and mix well.


Now, Memère's recipe says that you can knead this into a "soft" dough. However, the dough was super soft and sticky...


I ended up measuring out a little less than a 1/4 cup of flour and used it on my hands and in the bowl to get the  dough to a workable stage. After a little kneading and giving it a pep talk, the dough ended up like this:


Next step is to roll the dough out on a floured surface. The goal shape is a large rectangle. Mine was more of a flattened circle/square. Once your dough is all rolled out, spread margarine over the surface, then sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.


Roll the dough on the LONG end (left to right in the above picture) and slice about 10-12 pieces. Put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, or, in my case, line with my awesome new Silpat­® baking mat. 


Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350. Once they're cooled, ice them with your favourite icing, drizzle with caramel topping or just leave them plain. Any way, they're delicious!!



Happy Baking!! 

Crystal xox


Cinnamon Rolls


2 cups of flour
1/3 cups of white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
5 tbsp margarine
1 egg
Milk *see recipe for qty

Filling

2 tsp margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350.

In a bowl, mix together the first four ingredients. Cut in 5 teaspoons of margarine. In a measuring cup, add one egg then fill the cup with milk up to 3/4 of a cup*. Mix all, then knead to a soft dough.

Roll the dough into a rectangle shape on a floured board or baking surface. Spread with margarine, brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll on the long side and cut into pieces (between 10-12).

Place on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy!!


0 comments: