Friday, February 25, 2011

Wishing For Spring...

In honour of the snow storm going on outside this evening, I decided to make good work of the fondant from the previous tutorial and call upon spring for some inspiration. Despite my dislike of butterflies, I adore bumblebees. Perhaps the weather will see these cute little cupcakes and bring spring a little early. Perhaps? Or am I simply wishing?


Early this morning before leaving for work, I took the fondant out of the fridge to give it several hours to return to room temperature. After a bit of kneading, the first thing was to decide how many colors I'd be needing. Luckily, daisies are mostly white, so that saved me from having to color a chunk of fondant. My other two primary colors will be yellow and black (for the flower centers, and to make the bees.)





As I mentioned previously, there are two ways to color marshmallow fondant. The first is to color an entire batch when you melt the marshmallows, the second is to take a small ball of already-prepared fondant and color it by adding the color and kneading it. 


But first, the white needed to be rolled out and made into cute little daisies:




I cut out enough to make 9 double-layer daisies. I could also have done 18 single daisies, I just like the way the double ones pop off the cupcake. 


Next, I had to color some white fondant into yellow:




It doesn't look too pretty to start, but with a little work




and a lot of upper arm strength, I got it a nice bumblebee yellow:




Next, the black. I didn't take any pictures of the black fondant process because working with dark colors tend to result in your hands getting dyed the color you're working with..


Exhibit A:




So once I had all my colors and shapes figured out, it was time to make some cupcakes! A little purple dye gave them a nice, springy feel. A little tip is that if you don't have enough batter to fill all of your spaces in your pan, put a little bit of water in each of the empty cups so that they don't burn. 





While the cupcakes were cooking, I assembled my bees and flowers! I gave the petals a little depth by simply pressing down each one with the tips of my fingers. Then I doubled them up with a little bit of water in between to hold it all together. The bees are just yellow ovals with two black stripes and wings which are actually cut off daisy petals :) 






How cute are they?!




A little green icing on the top of each cupcake and the result was an adorable call out: Oh spring? Come out, come out wherever you are!!





Happy Baking!


Crystal 



4 comments:

Karen Jardine said...

Omigod those are so cure Crystal!! Where are you learning these techniques? Some creative designs too?

Crystal said...

Thanks!! :) I'm just learning as I go! I've discovered that it's a pretty good creative outlet :)

Mel said...

This is so cute and has inspired me to make cupcakes today! I don't, um, decorate (or bake, really, almost ever), but a friend sent me a 4-ingredient recipe for nutella cupcakes that she's confident that I can't screw up.

Crystal said...

Nutella cupcakes?! Do share!! :) My husband would LOVE those!