Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The National Police Wives Association

As Albert Camus put so simply and so perfectly: "Life is a sum of all your choices."

In July of 2007, I chose to go on a first date with a guy who was home on job training from the Atlantic Police Academy. What was at first a rather awkward encounter very quickly grew into love and into a partnership I knew would be a lifetime commitment.

In August of 2007, shortly before his graduation from the Academy and somewhat wary of the life that laid ahead of us, I chose to hit the internet in search of some resources and reassurance that the shift work, the inevitable over time, court, and most of all the changes I would see in my partner were something I could handle in the coming days, months and years.

What, or rather who, I found would change my life.

At the time, they were called Police Wives Online. And they were one of the greatest resources a person could ask for: real life experience. Women who'd "been there, done that" and could offer the exact reassurance I was looking for. Almost immediately, I felt like I'd made the kind of friends who'd be there if I ever needed them, could give insight into my life even before I'd lived through it, and, of course, be a whole lot of fun. For the girlfriend of a rookie police officer, they were invaluable.

Now known as the National Police Wives Association, and nearly 4 years later, I still find myself turning to the more experienced among us for advice, to whine about the aspects of police life (most recently: night shifts!!) and to gain valuable knowledge (e.g. always check the pockets for bullets BEFORE putting them in a washer!) These ladies have been here through our Academy graduation, our soon-after engagement, our wedding, buying our first house and I'm sure they'll be there for years to come, and life to come.

http://nationalpolicewivesassociation.org/

Be Safe and have a great day!

Crystal

2 comments:

Holly C said...

Oh Crystal, how you've summed up the best thing I ever googled :). The best women I never met. Sometimes I contemplate finding another police officer just so I can come back!

Crystal said...

Always good to have an officer in your back pocket, right? ;) I miss you! We need to discuss cake -- soon!!