Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Royal Affair

99% of my decorating...is done with a combination of buttercream icing and marshmallow fondant. Recently, while coming up with an idea for my Mum's birthday cake, I decided to try some royal icing decorations. 

Most of us have seen royal icing decorations in stores as prepackaged, hard and candy-like pieces that can be used to spruce up a homemade cake. It is a versatile, easy way to decorate a cake (I wouldn't recommend it for icing a cake or cupcake because of it's consistency when dry) and a great way to prep some of your cake decor in advance!!


There are a few ways of making royal icing, but I prefer to use the meringue powder recipe which yields about 3 cups:


1 pound (about 4 cups) of icing sugar, sifted
4 tablespoons of meringue powder (can be found here)
6 tablespoons of water


Mix everything in an electric mixer for 7 to 10 minutes until the icing forms stiff peaks. Divide the icing into smaller bowls and colour using a gel paste colouring (since liquid can change the consistency of the icing...) 


Then, let you imagination run wild! :) I am prepping a pretty little cake for my Mum's birthday next weekend, so I decided to make some flowers and some decorations which will be added to a white chocolate cake next weekend -- stay tuned!! 


There's no limit to what you can do with royal icing, so I encourage you all to give it a try. You'll find that once you start working with it, it'll become a staple decorating accessory in your kitchen, as it has in mine! :) 


Happy Baking! xox


Crystal 





0 comments: