Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Bathurst/Gloucester SPCA

Quincy and I met by chance, one afternoon 5 years ago while visiting the Bathurst/Gloucester SPCA. My mom and I were in the area and she wanted to go look at the kittens (I suppose my love of animals is somewhat hereditary.) While mom ooh and awwed over the adorable little balls of fluff, I decided that I would wander out back to see the dogs. I  already had three cats and was in no mood to add to that total!! I figured looking at the dogs would be safe since I'd never had the intention to get a dog of my own.

The dogs were outside and, of course, barked like crazies when I walked out towards them. There was one in particular, a Jack Russel, who was eager to show off that he could jump to my eye level with, what seemed like, very little effort. Everywhere, paws clamored against the kennel doors, with rattling and barking at an almost overwhelming decible. The volounteer and I shared a quick comment about how loud it was as I walked along the cages and said hi to each of the dogs, all happy for attention. My eyes met the bouncy Jack Russel's, but something behind him caught my eye more than this little dogs boundiful feats.

Between his kennel and that of a large husky, I first saw Quincy.

Unlike the other dogs, this shaggy, brown and black mutt wasn't barking or trying to get my attention. He wasn't even too interested when I knelt down in front of him and said hello. Instead, he stuck his shiney black nose out between the chain links, licked my outstretched hand once, then turned and went to sit at the back of his cage. No barking, no outward display of excitement.

I asked the SPCA volounteer about the sad dog and she went to get his information for me. She told me he'd been adopted but was recently returned. Already a fragile little soul, Quincy had decided it was best not to get his hopes up when someone came by to see him. As we both stood looking at him, the volounteer said 5 words I'll never forget: "I think he gave up."

For the next 24 hours, I was unable to get that scruffy, 30 pounds of dog out of my mind. I didn't want a dog! I had a roommate who already had a dog, and I had three cats of my own. But now, somehow, I had only one goal in mind: getting Quincy home. Several phonecalls, one heart-felt plea to my roommate and a few pages of paperwork later, I found myself sitting in the front office at the SPCA once more, nervously trying to read the faces of the ladies looking over my application. Then they turned to me and asked "So, when do you want to come pick up your dog?"

My dog.

This sweet, loveable mutt who was "too much work" for his past people and had been bounced between home and shelter was welcomed into his forever home on that afternoon in June of 2006. And that sad little dog who looked out at me with big brown eyes is now a happy, funny and loving creature who both my husband and I adore. His world is now a balance between playing fetch with his tennis ball, his stuffed toy bunny and cuddling with his "Mama" and "Daddy." I cannot say enough about the Bathurst SPCA and will forever be thankful to them for being there for Quincy when he needed someone to love him.

On April 30th, 2011, Lady Makes Cakes will be donating cupcakes and cake pops to the Greater Bathurst Business & Professional Women's Network to help in their efforts to raise much needed funds to help our friends at the shelter continue to do the work that they do. A table will be set up at the Bathurst Farmer's Market, so if you're in the area that weekend, be sure to stop by, pick up a yummy treat and contribute generously to this great cause!

 

Love you Booboo!!


0 comments: